In the interest of student safety, the following policy is being implemented for all Mad Science Camp programs effective May 15, 2019.
Students will not be allowed to use or access backpacks in Mad Science Camp program locations.
It is OK for students to bring and use:
• A lunch box (hard or soft-sided)
• Thermos bottle
• Clear or mesh bag that make the contents visible for medically required or other personal items.
Backpacks or other bags may be stored onsite during the Camp, but will be kept separate from Camp participants. No access to stored backpacks or bags will be allowed until the child is picked up.
If a parent is not sure whether a bag is OK for their child’s use at the Camp location, they can check with the Mad Science office at 913-888-8877, or check with the Mad Science Instructor on-site at the location.
Confirmations are sent via email 2-3 days prior to the first class. An email reminder is sent 1-2 days prior to the start of class with additional details. Notice of schedule changes and make-up sessions is sent via email as needed. Please add "email@example.com" to your address book to avoid notification delays.
The school receives an updated roster prior to start of the 1st class. Most schools announce Mad Science classes each week on class day.
We do not pick up children from their classroom. We do take roll each class, and check with the school office for missing students.
You may want to remind your child or send a note to the child’s teacher so that the teacher can remind your child to go to Mad Science class.
Mad Science strives at all times to provide fun and safe science activities for all children participating in our programs. To fulfill this commitment, we ask that all children enrolled adhere to basic behavioral guidelines.
Our instructors set clear boundaries and expectations as to appropriate conduct, and we will hold all students to these expectations. We ask your cooperation should you be notified of discipline problems. It is our intention to provide children with, not deprive them of, exciting and fun science. It is only when a child interrupts this positive learning environment that we would take any such action. If necessary, Mad Science may ask that your child be removed from the program. In such a case, any refund would be at the sole discretion of Mad Science.
For the safety of our students and instructors, no weapons of any kind are ever allowed in any Mad Science activity.
Mad Science also has expectations of the parents whose children are enrolled in our programs. Only children with a sincere interest in our programs and the necessary maturity to handle this environment and these learning activities should participate.
By enrolling your child in any Mad Science program you agree to the following terms and conditions:
• A Mad Science program can refer to any or all of the following: after-school programs whether administered by Mad Science, your child’s school or a third party provider of children’s activities; in-class workshops whether for school-aged or pre-school students; scout workshops; camps; school holiday mini-camps; shows, assemblies or other entertainment events; or birthday parties.
• You are the parent or legal guardian of the enrolled child and have full legal authority on behalf of said child.
• You certify that your child is physically able to participate in all Mad Science activities.
• You understand that failure to abide by the policies and guidelines as outlined by your child’s instructor may result in the revocation of your child’s enrollment. Further, you understand that damage to equipment and/or the facility due to reckless acts and/or deliberate indifference by your child will be your financial responsibility.
• You agree that Mad Science of Greater Kansas City assumes no responsibility for injuries or losses caused by situations or inappropriate behavior beyond their control.
• You agree that Mad Science of Greater Kansas City is not responsible for stains, spills and other damage to student clothing that occur during the normal course of a Mad Science program. Science can be messy sometimes, and students should be dressed accordingly.
• In the event that you cannot be contacted, you fully authorize Mad Science of Greater Kansas City and its employees and/or representatives and any medical personnel, hospital and/or physician to give medical attention to your child.
• You release and agree to indemnify and hold harmless The Mad Science Group (a division of 2946033 Canada Inc.), Mad Science of Greater Kansas City, its principals, officers, employees, agents and representatives, from any and all claims of any nature for injury or loss that may result from such participation, preparation for such participation or spectatorship of any and all Mad Science programs, its activities and preparations.
AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM (ASP) PAYMENT
Enrollment fees are due at registration and must be paid in full prior to the first class. Unpaid enrollments may result in your registration being cancelled. Discover, Mastercard or VISA payments can be made through the Mad Science Online Registration System or by calling the Mad Science office at 913-888-8877. Check payments can be mailed to Mad Science, 11368 Strang Line Road, Lenexa KS 66215.
AFTER-SCHOOL PROGRAM ENROLLMENTS/REFUNDS
We will make every effort to fill our classes; however, if a class is cancelled because the minimum enrollment has not been met for a particular session, a full refund will be given. In some cases we may opt to run a program with less than 12 students, but this is not guaranteed.
If you cancel less than 7 days before the 1st class, a full refund will be given only if we fill your child’s slot in the class. If we do not fill the slot, then a $25.00 service fee will be deducted from your refund.
RETURN CHECK FEE
Checks returned by the bank to Mad Science are subject to a $15 fee in addition to the returned check amount; the enrollment will be considered unpaid until both the enrollment fee and the returned check fee have been paid.
AFTERSCHOOL DISMISSAL POLICY / LATE PICKUP
Mad Science instructors follow the instructions for dismissal entered by the parent or guardian at enrollment. Students attending after care at the school will be conducted to the aftercare site by the instructor. If only a specific person is allowed to pick up the student, you must specify the person and the need to check ID if necessary.
Mad Science instructors do not allow students to leave on their own (unless you specify this at enrollment), and do not leave children unattended or with persons not authorized by the school administration.
Mad Science reserves the right to charge a late pickup fee of $10.00 per 10 minute period beginning 10 minutes after the stated end time of the program. If charged, your child cannot return to the program until this fee has been paid. A second late pickup will result in your child being removed from the program.
INCLEMENT WEATHER/CLASS CANCELLATION POLICY
Mad Science will follow the inclement weather and school closure policy of the school district or host organization in which we are instructing. If the school is closed or dismisses early due to weather or other unscheduled circumstances, Mad Science class will not be held that day.
When setting up our programs with our host organizations, we try to include a minimum of one make-up day into our scheduling. However, this is not always possible.
Mad Science will attempt to reschedule weather-related class cancellations or other events beyond our control or planning, but we can give no guarantee. For enrollments made through organizations other than directly with Mad Science, please contact the host organization for its refund policy.
We take the safety and security of your child very seriously. Mad Science conducts criminal background checks for anyone authorized by Mad Science to be in contact with your child for the duration of an ASP/Camp.
CAMP PAYMENT POLICY
At the time of enrollment in a Mad Science camp, payment in full is required unless a payment plan is in effect for the program.
CAMP REFUND POLICY
Mad Science camps are often hosted by a school or other organization (Partner). Please contact the host organization for their refund policy for your specific Mad Science program.
For Mad Science camps where registration and payment take place through our website at Kansascity.MadScience.org, the refund policy shall be:
o Cancellations by you that occur greater than 30 days prior to the start of the camp will be subject to a $25 service charge.
o Cancellations by you requested between 8 and 30 days prior to the start of the camp will be subject to a $50 service charge.
o No refunds will be given for cancellations by you less than 8 days prior to the start of the camp.
o At any time prior to the start of a camp, you may transfer your registration to another child with no service charge.
We use state-of-the-art Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption technology to safeguard and protect your personal information and transactions over the Internet. Your information, including your credit card information, is encrypted and cannot be read as it travels over the Internet.
CAMP DISMISSAL POLICY
An approved guardian must pick up your child promptly at the stated dismissal time of camp. Mad Science reserves the right to charge a late pickup fee of $10.00 per 10 minute period beginning 10 minutes after the stated end time of camp. Your child cannot return to camp until this fee is paid. A second late pickup will result in your child being removed from camp.
CAMP INCLEMENT WEATHER/CANCELLATION POLICY
Mad Science will follow the inclement weather and closure policy of the local government authority, school district or host organization in which we are instructing. In the case of inclement weather, please contact our host organization to determine if your Mad Science camp will be running.
Mad Science will attempt to reschedule weather-related camp cancellations or other events beyond our control or planning, but we can give no guarantee. Please contact the host organization for their refund policy.
At Mad Science we know that your privacy is important to you. It’s important to us, too. We take privacy very seriously, and we work hard to respect and protect you and your child's privacy.
Mad Science does not share email addresses or any other personal information with third parties interested in contacting you or collecting information about you. Furthermore, we DO NOT sell, rent, give or trade personal information we collect from online, phone or paper registrations.